Playing the Indian Card

Tuesday, March 01, 2022

Report from Someone I Know in Russia

 


So, well, I am in Russia at the moment. I'm half Russian, I have friends in Ukraine who have been hiding in their basements for the past few days. I just saw a video of a huge explosion that happened in the middle of Freedom Square in Kharkiv this morning, and I remember celebrating New Year with my best friend there a few years ago... People are being killed. Babies born in subway stations. Ukrainians were just getting back on their feet and enjoying a slowly improving quality of life only to be shot in the back by their brothers.

Russian economy is collapsing. Our protestors are being arrested, our journalists are being told not to call this a war and our people are not allowed to help Ukraine (for example, by donating) under threat of being thrown into jail for 12 to 20 years for treason. It's not a war, according to Russian propaganda, it's a "special military operation to free Ukraine from Nazis." "Civilians are not being killed," except they are. Putin is going to lose, he knows it, and he is threatening nuclear war. We don't know if he's bluffing. Personally, I think he's deranged. Literally. And that's the scariest part.

I have bought a box of field rations and packed two backpacks with essentials just in case. I'm considering temporarily relocating to a smaller town a few hours away from here, because if Putin does press the button (God I hope not), and Russia is going to be bombed in response, the city I'm in is the third target.

I have no words for what's happening. I'm horrified. My entire world is upside down. I feel 20 years older than I was a week ago. My plans for my future, all of that is cancelled.


No comments: