Playing the Indian Card

Thursday, November 08, 2012

My Wife Weighs In

My Filipina wife has a thoughtful opinion on the US election. She figures voters felt, given the economic mess he inherited, that Obama just had not been given his fair chance to show what he could do. It would have seemed unfair to dump him after four years given the circumstances. This perhaps mattered more than usual because he was the first black president.

I think this rings true to something in the back of my own mind. While I wanted to see Romney win, I also was not entirely comfortable with seeing Obama disappear from public life. Something about it would not have felt right.

That something may have been the precedent of the first ever black presidency ending as a failure. It is not the healthiest thing for the country if that turns out to be so.

No comments: