Playing the Indian Card

Thursday, February 04, 2016

Ayesha's Song in the Morning


Papa God, sing songs to me at morning
Of how pretty Mommy was as a little girl;
Papa God, sing songs to me at morning
Of how silly Daddy was as a little boy.

And when I tumble numbly-foot to bedfall,
Sing me songs of growing up and growing wise;
And dreaming through the spiral paths of evening,
Guide my wander on a thread with angel eyes.

And when the threads of dawn begin to gather
To a point of light on distant eastern foam,
Guide my feet back safely to my family,
And my brother, and my mother, and my home.

And when the golden dawn begins to shimmer
And my dream feet land dew-wet on mountainside
Fold my wings back safely to my heart's roost
And leave one silent angel for my guide..
And leave one silent angel for my guide, Papa God,
One silent smiling angel for my guide.
Grant me the gift of wonder on each lonely mountain side,
And leave one pretty angel for my guide.

-- Stephen K. Roney


No comments: