Playing the Indian Card

Tuesday, September 22, 2020

The Scholar's Life




When I was a young grad student, I read Confucius; and did not think much of him. He was only water when I wanted wine. But his sayings and his thought have grown on me. The greatest teacher who ever lived, one who taught half the world, is not to be ignored.

English translations are widely divergent; the meaning in the original Chinese is always obscure. I read three translations, and try from that to puzzle out the meaning for myself.

Analects 1:1:

The Master said: To study and then to practice what one has studied, is this not a pleasure? When learned friends arrive from distant places, is this not a joy? To remain without bitterness when one’s talents are not recognized, is this not the superior man?



No comments: