Playing the Indian Card

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Faith and Reason

 


Allegory of Faith, Vermeer

Another possible objection to Christianity, noted in my 1982 diary:

“Religion is unreasoning—blind faith. Truth must be worked out by reasonable discussion among reasonable people. Blind faith is fanaticism, and can only lead to conflict.”

This is a common and deadly misunderstanding. I blame Martin Luther and his doctrine of sola fides, “salvation by faith alone.”

A Protestant once challenged me with what I would do if I decided that some key teaching of the Catholic Church was wrong. He claimed shock at my immediate answer: that I would leave the Church. Had I no faith?

 “Faith” does not mean arbitrary belief, but trust, or having the courage of one’s convictions. As you might say, “I have faith in my wife.” That does not mean you arbitrarily decide she exists, and it is not a conviction arrived at with no evidence.

True faith or belief must be evidence- and reason-based. Catholicism is relentlessly rational.

One believes in whatever religion one believes in, follows whatever faith one follows, because after sincere examination to the best of your abilities, it is the most reasonable account of the universe. 

Anything else makes you a madman, an idiot, or a scoundrel.


No comments: