Playing the Indian Card

Thursday, July 15, 2021

Cuba Libre?

I’m going out on a limb: I think the Cuban government is going to fall.

In the past, Cuba could rely on Soviet support in the face of unrest. Then it could rely on Venezuelan. Possibly it can now rely on Chinese or Russian support, but I think it has burned through its nine lives and will not look worth the cost to any such sponsors any longer.

I am impressed too with how quickly the uprising spread. 

If I were the US, I’d be actively helping the rebels behind the scenes. A collapse of the Cuban government would be a big boost for American prestige, and the prestige of this administration. People suggest the last thing Biden wants is a flood of Cubans into Florida, all eager to vote Republican. Even if he is that cynical, the best way to prevent that may soon be to overthrow the Cuban government.

If Cuba flips, it may have repercussions for other remaining Communist regimes. The only ones left: Vietnam, Laos, and China.


No comments: