Playing the Indian Card

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Paris Is Burning




I am seriously depressed by the burning of Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Its rose windows are one of the three or so most beautiful things I have ever seen. Now probably gone forever. They will no doubt rebuild, but it will not be the same.



Others on my personal list of the world’s most beautiful sights:

The Lady and the Unicorn tapestries, also in Paris



Sinulog, Cebu’s annual festival, Philippines.






Mirinae shrine, Korea, when the cherries are in blossom.



The view of Westport, Ontario, from Foley Mountain, in fall.



Tian Tan Buddha, Hong Kong.



The Sigiriya maidens, Sri Lanka.



Jihua Shan, China.


If the Biblical advice "by their fruits you shall know them" is sound, I count 5 great beauties produced by Christianity, 3 by Buddhism. Other religious traditions seem to trail in their ability to evoke the spirit; although my selection is no doubt biased by both my own preferences and where I have happened to visit. I suspect Hinduism would do rather well had I travelled more in India, On the other hand, I expect Orthodox Christianity would be well-represented here had I travelled more extensively in Eastern Europe.




No comments: