Playing the Indian Card

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

CANZUK Redux





J. J. McCullough is tepid on the currently sometimes floated proposal for a CANZUK union: Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom joining a customs and mutual defense pact. He points out, rightly, that these countries really do not do much trade with each other. Each of them trades far more with the US. So what's the advantage?

True enough, and fair enough. My own first choice in terms of such a union would be CAINZUKUSA, including also the US and Ireland. Heck, if it were me, I'd add in the Philippines, Singapore, and the British West Indies. Not to exclude others who might want to join.

But, further, McCullough is looking only at trade. It seems to me that is not the only consideration. I am more attracted by the idea of free movement. I have always found Canada confiningly small, at least in population terms. It is not, no doubt, in world terms, but it is in comparison to our nearest neighbour, and this can feel frustrating. Many occupations in Canada are effectively only available in Toronto. Toronto is not everybody's cup of tea. It would be great to be able to pick up and move to London or Sydney instead.

And I consider defense a second important issue. The US seems to be pulling back from world commitments. A new force is perhaps needed.


No comments: