Playing the Indian Card

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Baby Jane Doe

A very wise reader of the National Post, Stephanie Fehler, sent in a letter today congratulating as a “hero” the teenaged woman who abandoned baby “Jane Doe” on a Saskatoon doorstep over the weekend.

And she is exactly right. As Fehler points out, one in three children conceived in Canada do not get the chance for life this child will have. There has been no problem finding adoptive parents: the Saskatoon adoption agency reports being flooded with calls.

It all reminds me of Mother Theresa’s challenge to those saying abortion was really a matter of mercy, that it was better then giving birth to an unwanted child.

“Bring them to me,” she said. “I want them.”

I write from outside the country, so I can safely make suggestions without actually having to follow them myself. Be that as it may, I hope the Canadian Catholic community rallies to this teenager. It might convince other young women to do the same thing, and so save many lives.

More than that: what would happen if Catholic parishes across Canada, or even Catholic families, ran ads in their local newspapers encouraging young women considering an abortion to do likewise. And, better yet, giving the address of a willing doorstep.

“Be a hero. Don’t abort the child. We’ll make sure it is placed with a loving family.”

There is simply no danger that such a child could not be placed.

And wouldn’t that send a joyful, hopeful message against abortion?

1 comment:

mamazee said...

Hey! I'm Stephanie Fehler - i'm so glad you *got* what i wrote... i wrote it and then thought people will think i'm crazy... but i feel like Mother Theresa said - that if someone doesn't want their little baby, i do. I've got six of my own, 11 and under, and yet if i knew one of my friends was facing an unplanned pregnancy, there would be no thinking twice about my response... And i'm not one of the women i know who are 'addicted" to adoption. I agree that a public policy, made clear by churches (Catholic or not!) indicating safe places to leave these little ones can only be a good thing.