Playing the Indian Card

Friday, December 29, 2006

McCain in the Early Going

I think I've said it before in this space, but in case I haven't: my prediction for the next US presidential race is John Edwards versus John McCain.

The first principle to remember here is that Democrats almost never nominate the early frontrunner. Republicans almost always do.

Obama looks to me like a flash in the pan. He doesn't have the resume, and his inexperience is likely sooner or later to show. Hillary Clinton has no growth potential and too many negatives; and her support for the Iraq War will kill her with Democrats. I suspect John Edwards starts out with few enemies in the party, thanks to his upbeat run last time. Everybody's second choice: that's a good place to be. He should do well in Iowa, and he stands a good chance to clean up in the Southern primaries. Obama and Clinton may wipe each other out in the big "liberal" states.

Among Republicans, Guiliani is probably too liberal to win the nomination. He may also be rusty.

And I expect McCain to ultimately win the contest with Edwards. If Iraq goes well, as a Repuublican, he is more likely to get the credit. If, on the other hand, it goes badly from here, he is lucky enough not to be closely identified with the current administration. And he might appeal, with his military background, as a steady hand on the tiller in such a situation. Just as Eisenhower once did, or Nixon, in their day.

1 comment:

Stab10 said...

An interesting take. I kind of agree with you about Obama. He seems to be the flavour of the month, but I can't see that lasting throughout an entire presidential campaign.

I'm not counting Hilary Clinton out just yet, though. I won't believe she's defeated until she actually is.