Playing the Indian Card

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Fun Class Activity

Teaching, like police work, editing, or tax auditing, unfortunately, is one of those professions that attracts bullies. Not that all teachers are bullies; many are very dedicated, and some of the best people I have known were teachers. I am a teacher myself, as well as an editor. But it is worth remembering that the Pharisees of the Bible were teachers.

Some of the textbooks I have seen are hair-raising.

Take today. I ran across an activity in an English book (Fun Class Activities, Pearson, 2000). Students are asked to match the “chat-up line” with the correct response. The chat-up lines are made visually appealing by being grouped around a drawing of a clean-cut blond young man holding a bouquet of flowers.

Here are the questions and responses, “correctly” matched up:

Q: Do you think it was fate that brought us together?
A: No, it was just bad luck.

Q: Would you like to join me?
A: Why, are you falling apart?

Q: Your face must turn a few heads.
A: Yours must turn a few stomachs.

Q: Can I kiss you?
A: OK. But mind you don’t burn yourself on my cigarette!

Q: What do you think of the music here?
A: Better than the company.

Q: I’d go to the end of the world for you.
A: Yes, but would you stay there?

Q: Could you give me your name, please?
A: I don’t think Amanda would suit you.

Q: What would you say if I asked you to marry me?
A: Nothing. I can’t talk and laugh at the same time.

Q: I think I could make you very happy.
A: Why, are you leaving?

Q: How did you get to be so beautiful?
A: I must have been given your share.

Kind of puts all the males in the class in their place, doesn’t it? Just imagine a similar exercise based on systematic put-downs of blacks or Jews—let alone women.

And we wonder why boys are falling behind or dropping out of school.

No comments: